Sunday, April 3, 2011

Masters Week

I love the week that builds up to the Masters. I like it even more now that Phil Mickelson won this weekend at the Houston Open. Before Lefty’s win there was no clear-cut favorite to win the Masters, which he is now the leader with 7 to 1 odds. I love this event! I have never been to Augusta to see it live but it is on the bucket list for me. The first time I really remember watching the Masters was on a spring day in 1986. Yes that 1986 where Jack Nicklaus, at age 46, made a march at his 6th and final green jacket. I was a 10-year-old kid just trying to impress my older brothers playing ball outside when my father yells out the window “Hey boys the Bear is on the move”. Now I went running in for 2 reasons- 1. I was ten and whatever my father liked so did I. 2. At that age I was already getting into sports and I didn’t want to miss anything that I could talk about with my friends. So as I sat down in front of the TV to watch I was hooked. I remember Jack hitting one great shot after another and all the while Greg Norman completely falling on his face, which he pretty much always did. To this day I don’t remember a Masters as thrilling as that one in 1986. When Jack putted in for eagle on 15 to tie for the lead, that was it, you just knew he was going to win. I remember my father watching and saying how great Jack Nickluas was and that there will never be another like him. Which we are still in a holding pattern on that and he still is the greatest. What made it special for me was watching this drama play out and seeing a man in complete control of everything. Jack never looked the least bit nervous and it just amazed me. This up coming weekend will be another great Masters and I will have golfers I am rooting for, some more than others. I just know that it will not be as Jack in 1986. Don’t get me wrong there have been some great masters since, but this was my first time watching the grand event and seeing amen corner bring every golfer but one to it’s knees. Enjoy the Tournament and all the drama the it brings, as will I. Thank you Augusta National and Jack Nicklaus for inviting a 10 year old boy to enjoy the drama and magic of the Masters. Until the next time….Raise your glass and hit it straight.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching golf, but most of the time when I tell anyone that they give me a strange look and follow it up with a comment about grass and whether I watch it too. Sports are sports and if you know the game the same excitement that can be found in football or basketball can be found in other sports as well. Thanks for highlighting that core sporting characteristic in the game of golf. I raise my glass to you!

    ReplyDelete